20160805

William James "Gates" Brown


William James "Gates" Brown (May 2, 1939 – September 27, 2013) was an American Major League Baseball player who spent his entire career with the Detroit Tigers

On August 7, 1968, Brown made history. He wasn't in the starting lineup, so he decided to grab two hot dogs from the clubhouse. He was ordered by manager Mayo Smith to pinch hit. He stuffed the hot dogs in his jersey to hide them from his manager.

"I always wanted to get a hit every time I went to the plate. But this was one time I didn't want to get a hit. I'll be damned if I didn't smack one in the gap and I had to slide into second—head first, no less. 

I was safe with a double. But when I stood up, I had mustard and ketchup and smashed hot dogs and buns all over me."

"The fielders took one look at me, turned their backs and damned near busted a gut laughing at me. 

My teammates in the dugout went crazy." 

After fining Brown $100, Smith said, "What the hell were you doing eating on the bench in the first place?"