One pet shop in Florida decided to test the limits of people’s hunger for snakes by making them swallow insects and worms in an eating contest.
The winner was declared after consuming 60 grams of meal worms, 35 worms, and a bucket of cockroaches. Minutes after celebrating his victory, Edward Archbold collapsed outside the pet shop and died.
At first, it was thought that he might have had an allergic reaction to the insects, but an autopsy showed that Archbold choked to death.
Arthropod body parts had clogged his airways. During the contest, Archbold had eaten the cockroaches so quickly that he swallowed many whole and alive and had to force insects escaping from his mouth back in.